Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Now I Didn't Expect That...

I waited until the evening before cycling to the Hill today in order to let the plot dry out somewhat, & made a beeline straight to the PEAS (stephens) whose purple pods are now swelling nicely.

I picked a couple of plump pods & undertook an impromptu taste test.

Hmm. Well.

Although the peas tick all the boxes (including vigorous growth, loads of pods, attractive plant), I’m afraid it falls down on the most important factor – taste. I ate the peas from another pod in order to make sure I’d got it right – but no, the peas are just not good for fresh eating – they are not particularly sweet, & they are mealy & dry.

So – a disappointment there, BUT they may well be good for mushy peas (like the purple podded lancashire lad peas following on) so I although they are not what I thought, I am not downcast!

I pinched out & tied up the TOMATOES – & saw that I have flowers on almost all of the plants & even a baby tomato on one or two. Hurrah!

The plot’s in full swing now – I have plenty of eating PEAS (newick) to pick along with SWISS CHARD (bright lights), BROAD BEANS (barry plot 19) – enough to give to my neighbours & to blanch & freeze a portion – & I picked the first of the BROAD BEANS (crimson flowered) too, & had these green jewels for tea with the peas & POTATOES (dunluce).

The weeds have all leapt ahead too, but that’s a job for another day.

3 comments:

  1. I find most purple podded peas are not good for eating fresh. The exception is Ezetha's Krombek Blauwschok. That's a nice eating pea. I can send you some seeds in autumn if you'f like a try?

    My hybrid between Lancashire Lad and Oregon Sugar Pod is a sweet eater. However I'm not making that cross every year! I'm hoping for a good F2 and onwards. Will keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I agree with you about the peas! I love to grow the purple peas, the flowers and pods are just so attractive. I cooked some yesterday, they were OK and a grey-ish colour. I think for eating in future I will get a good, modern, sweet green variety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love a few of the unpronouncable peas, Flum, thank you! I've yet to try the Lanky lads, but I think that you suggest that these (like the Stephens), will be better cooked rather than straight off the plant.

    You're quite right about them looking green/grey on the plate Matron - what we really need is someone to cross a purple podded with a sweet eater.... oh! there you are, Flum! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...