Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Friday, August 21, 2009

Hubble, Bubble!

Here's the redcurrant wine, one day in.

The redcurrants had a warm through in a pan in order to release the juice & were then mashed up with a potato masher & bunged in with the sugar & a gallon of water and a teaspoon of pectolase.

Twenty-four hours later, it's ready for a teaspoon of yeast nutrient & a teaspoon of yeast, & it will sit, fizzing, for five days before being strained off into a demijohn for fermenting out.

How much more interesting would my chemistry lessons have been at school if we had learned his sort of thing - although I guess that even I can see the pitfalls of teaching 30 fifteen year olds the chemical reaction necessary to turn sugar into alcohol....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...