Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Saturday, August 08, 2009

Show Eve...

So with the sun shining - and the same forecast for tomorrow - I went to the Hill & handed in my entry form at lunchtime.

I had a word with the show secretary Scottish George to ask his opinion as to whether I should enter three achocha in Class 1 (collection). "Well, it's up to you – but these judges are new to our show, & I'd be inclined to play safe," he advised.

I'd be cross if I had my entry in that class disqualified for any reason (like last year when I entered the wrong number of beans...d'oh!), so I don't think that I'll put them in – it's not as if I'm short of alternatives.

Having deliberately ignored the plot all week (so I didn't inadvertantly eat any show winners), I now had the pick of the bounty to enter for the show – & with Reg-next-plot & novice neighbour Jody as company I had a pick of the PEAS (ne plus ultra) – which are stretching the boundaries of acceptable show quality somewhat – & also a heap of FRENCH BEANS (empress of russia & polish) which look fine.

I've also decided to show half a dozen SPRING ONIONS (white lisbon), as although they have bulbed significantly at the bottom (Julie said "oh - white lisbon, bulbing at the bottom? mine look like that too!") I notice that Sainsbury's sell 'large bulbing spring onion' which look very similar to mine, so in they go.

Jody was busy sorting out knee-high weeds & digging up his potatoes, so I joined him in digging up some of mine - a row of POTATOES (rooster) & all four rows of POTATOES (pentland dell) - the latter a huge disappointment in terms of yield, all four rows being just about the same weight as the one row of rooster.

Chatting to Jody, not only has he been away for a couple of weeks, prior to that toddler H has been very poorly in hospital – a real worry – so his plot is understandably not how he'd like it.

"I'd no idea," I said, "do shout up if you are ever in a spot like that again, not being able to get to the plot for any reason. You know we'd all muck in to keep the plot ticking over, & with a family crisis you can do without worrying about the state of your plot!"

Just before I went home I tipped out the contents of the spuds-in-a-growbag bag – not exactly a yield to be proud of if we're honest – lets hope for better things tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...