Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Redcurrant Wine!

After sorting through the seed swap parcel that I received through the post yesterday, picking out a few goodies & adding in some of my pea varieties, parsnip seed (I germinated a few on some kitchen roll to check that my saved seed is viable) & flower seeds & packing it up ready to go to the next person on the list, I got the next batch of redcurrant wine underway using the defrosted redcurrants.

I've added slightly more sugar to this one batch - aiming for a starting SG of 1100 - which I hope won't be too high (if it's too high i.e. too sugary, the yeast can have trouble getting going) but the apple wine is still going like a good 'un and that had a higher SG, so I should be ok.

The upshot will either be a sweeter wine, or a stronger wine - I've noticed that most of my wines ferment out to a final SG of about 990, stopping working once all the sugar has been used up, I supose, so depending on the start SG, the alcohol content is about 12 - 13%, and the wine a medium-dry.

Now I'm experimenting a little more, it's made me wonder whether if I aim for this higher SG to start with, will the wine still come out at an SG of 990 (same level of medium-dryness), but have a higher alcohol content, or will the wine stop fermenting before the SG drops below 1.000, giving a similar alcohol content as I'm getting at the moment, but be a bit sweeter?

Quite a fun experiment, this one!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...