Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Improvements...

A better day weather-wise, so I went off to the Hill with the intention of digging up the second early POTATOES (osprey) & to start to knock the area by neighbour Ted’s plot into some order – to get the big tussocky weeds out & to level that area.

Reg-next-plot came up as I was digging up the potatoes, & he gave me an excellent lesson in preparing the potatoes for the Show. “Pick the most even – look you’ve plenty that are the same – & gently wash them with a sponge or cotton wool, being careful not to break the skin, then wrap them individually in newspaper,” he advised.

Cheery Brian & Pauline stopped by with a trug of goodies. “We’ve rescued our French beans from the weeds,” beamed Pauline, holding up rather a large specimen, “but they look a bit big, so I hope they are all right”. I said that she could always shell them & eat the beans on their own, if they’re woody, & off they went.

As I set about cutting down the PEAS (stephens) to take the pods home for drying & shelling, Jane & E arrived with a friend & her daughter. Jane showed them around the site – they chatted to John Badger from the bottom for some while then they came back up to the clubhouse to pick up a show schedule duly enthused for next weekend.

Happy with the potatoes, peas, I picked some sweetpeas & cut a couple of sizeable COURGETTES (all green bush), I then set about sorted out the side of the plot. This was less successful in that even with two huge buckets of weeds, a considerable number of scratches from the gooseberry bushes, & a great deal of puffing & panting whilst clod turning, the area is still looking like a very roughly ploughed field.

A work in progress, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...