Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Show Preparations II

Drizzle today, again – but no matter, I had enough to keep me busy.

First I racked the redcurrant wine – the fermentation has slowed right down, & it has starting to clear. It’s measuring an SG of 990 – but it tastes a bit sharp, so I gently added another ounce of sugar.

It’ll probably ferment just a bit more, fed by the added sugar, but at that SG, not very much, & the left over sugar will sweeten the wine.

Then I picked out the white potatoes for the show – I couldn’t make my mind up between the wilja or the larger lady cristl, so I picked 5 of each & washed & wrapped them along with the selected garlic bulbs & the coloured potatoes which I picked out yesterday.

They all look equally quite good, so I’ll have to take a second opinion nearer the weekend…

2 comments:

  1. Tonight we sat down and cracked open the bottle of rhubarb wine kindly provided to us by Hazel some weeks ago. FABULOUS! Lovely and clear, tasted very professional and no hangover the next day - what more can you ask? Well done Hazel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed it, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...