Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Counting the Cost!

Realising that I have room for three further varieties of dwarf beans, I posted a request on the GYO grapevine, offering some of my left-over climbing beans in exchange.

Within half an hour I had the three varieties promised to me to be in the post in the next few days, & even after I’d said ‘thank you’, there were more offers from other kind people who were more than happy to send me seeds, & waving away my offers of postage or swaps. How good is that!

This got me thinking about the money that I’ve saved by taking advantage of ‘free seeds for postage only’ offers, & by swapping these – & home saved seed – with others both on-line & at the Hill to extend the range of seeds that I have to sow.

Of course the seed companies do help here – when they put 1600 carrot seeds in a packet, or 450 cabbage seeds, even allowing for poor germination, that’s an awful lot of seed – enough to save for subsequent years, and to swap for others.

So this year I have a plot full of veg, & seedlings bursting from every windowsill – & all for the grand sum of a £20 subscription to the Heritage Seed Library & a couple of ‘10 packets of seeds for £1.99 p&p’ offers – fabulous!

3 comments:

  1. Seed swaps are brilliant aren't they - and you are a generous swapper yourself. Your Evening Primrose are about to burst into bloom - can't wait for that - and your Early Warwick french beans are just peeking through. Seed saving and swapping is the way to go. Sustainability is the buzz word!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just shows what nice people gardeners are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just goes to show 'what goes around comes around', Flum!

    Yeah, Bilbo, I think we're alright, aren't we!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...