Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Just a Quick Ten Minutes...

This blustery weather continues, but with the sun shining through the window & all the spring leaves on the trees out it was far too difficult to resist just nipping up to the Hill at lunchtime when I was out & about.

I popped a packet of RADISH (French breakfast 3) in my pocket & sowed a row of those, along a couple of rows of the seed tape CARROT (early nantes 5) – examination under castle carrot shows precisely two carrots growing away there from the first row that I sowed. We’ll see how these do, & if germination of these is poor too, I’ll have to consider that slugs might be to blame.

The potatoes are all doing well – so I whipped along the rows to earth them up with the natty little fork/rake/hoe thing that Jody stores in the tool shed – I’m not sure what the right name is for it, it looks like a back scratcher, & it is very useful indeed.

I did have some company from a bit further down – a plot holder from further down was working away with a shovel & broom to redistribute part of the most enormous load of wood chippings which had been delivered such that the pile didn’t block the roadway down to the bottom. I don’t know whose they are, & as he was intent on getting on with the job in hand, we didn’t chat.

I picked the first four RADISH (French breakfast 3) to have with lunch, then headed off to buy a bag of compost from the garden centre on the way back & I also redeemed a coupon from the Telegraph for a free tray of vegetable seedlings – hurrah! I chose leek seedlings – we were woefully short of these this year & I don’t intend to make that mistake again!

2 comments:

  1. Our leeks were dismal this year ...used them for making vegetable stock ... but had to use 1/2 a dozen just to make a difference ...

    Theres always next season:O)

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - ours didn't really get going either, but I think they went in too late after the spuds came up - live and learn, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...