Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Radish & Rhubarb in the Rain!

Given that the heavy showers continued overnight & intermittently throughout the day, it was perhaps just as well that I was otherwise engaged until later on this afternoon.

However, a late break in the clouds this when the evening sun came out gave me an excuse to go & see how the plot was getting on.

It was far to wet to do anything except pick a LETTUCE (hsl stoke), a handful of RADISH (French breakfast), some sprouting spears of KALE (Sutherland), & to pull a few sticks of rhubarb.

Of course I noticed how well the peas are growing (but forgot to look closely at the broad beans flowers to see if I have any beans forming yet), & how the onions are just starting to swell; the garlic starting to yellow just at the tips; & the profusion weeds popping up all over…

And then it started raining again.

4 comments:

  1. That's a gorgeous looking trug of goodies (and a potential nice little quilt pattern on your kitchen floor*!)

    * it's OK, hang around Flummery and I for long enough and you will get used to this sort of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, Quilt patterns crop up everywhere!
    I picked a huge pile of rhubarb yesterday to give to a friend in the village who has an excellent recipe for rhubarb and orange jam. I confidently hope for a jar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. D'you know, I had to go into the kitchen and scrutinise the floor when I read your comment, Bilbo! {smile}

    Rhubarb and orange jam sounds fab! Maybe I should have a go, although jam making not my strong suit...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jam sounds good, are you going to ask for the recipe?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...