Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Monday, May 25, 2009

Sunday Confessional...

A hot summery day today – so I left going to the Hill until later on when it was both cooler, & I knew that the plants would be glad of a good watering.

Before I went, I had a sowing session of FRENCH BEANS (barlotti & hsl purple giant), RUNNER BEANS (reg next plot) & BROAD BEANS (witkiem manita). Then I sorted out which of the tomato plants I wanted to keep at home i.e. any duplicate plants – which turned out to be six of them, with sixteen to be planted out at the Hill.

Once at the Hill I played a logistics game with the number of tomato plants & the ground available for them & eventually settled on the best positioning for them & set too with the trowel.

This is where the trouble started – I wanted to water them in, but without a rose on my watering can the tomatoes would be overwhelmed by the torrent of water. Of course all I needed to do borrow a rose for the watering can, use it, and return it – but who had one?

First point of call was having a scrimmage round novice neighbour Jody’s store area – with no luck, then to cheery Bri & Pauline’s where they had a couple of watering cans but no rose, & then I went to Lionel by the gate’s, & I saw a watering can in the greenhouse complete with rose – brilliant!

I fitted the rose to my watering can, did all the watering – tomatoes and everything else – & then went to put the pull the rose off the can to put it back – when it cracked & sheered off in my hand. Oops. Definitely broken.

So a ‘sorry’ note left for Lionel in his greenhouse, & a trip to the garden centre in the morning, I think…

4 comments:

  1. Ooops, but as you will no doubt have replaced Lionels' rose before he even finds the note, I think you might be forgiven.

    Plants looking good though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one can with a rose - one with a cracked rose - ok if you want a mini-torrent! - and one with no rose at all. Problem is, it's always the one I want that's furthest from the water!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If ever you are in need again, there are two watering cans just in side my greenhouse- feel free to borrow at will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure that he even noticed the note, Bilbo, but it would have been a bit tricky sneaking the new one into the greenhouse as he was actually on the plot at the time...

    Doodah's Law that the thing you want is the most inconvenient to reach, I think, Flum!

    Of course I should have thought straight away of you, Julie, being the most organised one out of the lot of us!

    Thank you, and I will do on the (inevitable!) next time! Will try not to break anything tho'...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...