Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Roll Up for yer Rhubarb!

Despite the evening being blustery & decidedly unspring-like, I was keen to go to the Hill to get those weeds beaten, so I wrapped up in my wax jacket & headed off. I took with me a tray of PEAS (Lancashire lad) to plant out too – these look fabulous & have really come on whilst I’ve been away.

I weeded the front of the plot & then hoed & weeded the beds. On close scrutiny of the brassicas, I am slightly more optimistic that at least some of them may recover from their pigeon mauling. Maybe. The BROAD BEANS (barry plot 19) in this bed look super – the plants are about 2’ high, & the flowers are starting to form. Knowing how unruly these got last year, I put some bamboo sticks & strings as supports to try to stop them spilling out & overwhelming their neighbours.

As I finished, a gent walked up from the bottom of the plot who I didn’t recognise, carrying a Sainsbury wire basket half filled with rhubarb sticks. Turns out that he’s the new chap from 4a – “hullo”, he says, “you’re getting on well. I’ve copied you & have four beds made – where do you get your bark for paths from?”

I pointed him in the direction of the park where there might be some chippings left for collection, & he said “cheers, that’ll save me £35-a-tonne of bought chippings – I could chat all night, but it’s rhubarb & custard for tea” & off he walked, swinging his wire basket as he went.

Once I’d earthed up the potatoes a little, & pulled a dozen or so rhubarb sticks for Dave-&-Patti-next-door, I had a walk down to the bottom to see how things are progressing. JB’s Dunluce potatoes are well ahead of mine, which is a swizz as I got him the spuds; returning allotmenteer Chrissie’s plot is so pretty – like Julie’s (2nd best plot) & cheery Bri & Pauline’s. Mine is ‘functional’, but I guess that some people just do ‘flair’ better than others.

Got home & dropped the rhubarb off next door – once it was gratefully accepting & snaffled away – thank you very much – Dave showed me a pack of just three sticks of rhubarb that he’d bought from Asda. £1.50! Crumbs – perhaps I should set up a stall!

5 comments:

  1. Rhubarb is a rip-off isn't it? You can't kill the stuff but they charge you the earth. I have a couple of elderly ladies in the village who are always grateful for a couple of sticks now and again.

    I had cold stewed rhubarb and stem ginger for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love rhubarb ...But yeh gods Thats expensive .... Better look after ours a bit more :O)

    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now and very inspirational it is too. We've just got our very first allotment so are in the process of getting it ready for sowing (it was a grassy field up until a few weeks ago!) Just wondering, what is it you're using as eye protectors on the end of your canes? They look very funky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Flum - when I was little it seemed like everyone had a rhubarb in their garden, so I certainly wouldn't have put it into the 'luxury' category, but now I know that it goes for 50p a stick...!

    That's the thing, Dinzie, it's not as though rhubarb needs looking after - a barrowful of muck once a year and that's about your lot!

    Thank you for dropping by, Marie - and for your kind words. Good luck with your new plot - isn't it exciting! The funky eye protectors are actually plastic balls (the sort you get in ball pools), and you can get them from Tesco and Homebase in a pack of 100 for about a fiver. Just cut a cross in with a knife and push them on the canes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Functional is absolutely fine and I think your plot looks gorgeous, please stop talking yourself down! {smile}

    I was about to ask about the funky balls - but Marie beat me to it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...