Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, May 10, 2009

On Reflection....

It seems to have been a cold, flat day today – although this morning was brighter, so I found half an hour to sit out in the sun & scrutinise the tomato plants in their 3” pots.

Quite a few of them have started to develop side shoots, which I pinched but – although I’m not actually sure if that’s the right thing to do. It’s all about whether they are cordon or bush types, I think, & even if I knew what to do with each type, I don’t actually know which ones that my varieties are – can you tell which are which by looking at them?. Never mind, I’m sure that they’ll sort themselves out.

I potted up a couple into 4” pots for a friend, & squished some aphids that I found on one of the plants, & gave them all a good feed.

I washed & sliced the rhubarb that I picked yesterday (nearer 3lb than 4lb, when prepared) & popped it in a bucket with a couple of pounds of sugar to start off the next batch of rhubarb wine. I used some Demerara & soft brown sugar – I don’t know if that will make any difference.

I’ve been thinking about the bean support that I put in yesterday – I’m not 100% sure about it. For some reason that I can’t fathom, instead of putting it 2’ down into the bed, I only put in 18” before screwing into the side of the bed & bracing it, and I’m a bit concerned that it won’t be robust enough. I might undo it & dig down further & refix – I think that I’d be happier, really…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...