Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Friday, May 22, 2009

Wine Good News & Bad News

The first batch of rhubarb wine has been super speedy this year - started off in a bucket with sugar on 13 April & into a demijohn a few days later (even looking orange through the process), & I've racked it of, left it to clear & bottled it 6 weeks later - hurrah!

Having taken a taste, it's a bit dry, but nice enough, so away it is to the garage for a few months to mature. Given that last year's second batch of rhuarb was sharper than the first, & that this year's first batch is quite dry anyway, I thought that I should add some exta sugar to the ditch-water brown wine which is on the go at the mo, and is just settling down - I took a guess at adding 4oz more sugar.

The demijohn - being fairly full anyway - reacted pretty strongly to the extra sugar causing a geat deal of fizzing (in the fasion of a 1950's lab. stereotype, complete with frothing test tubes) which I had not accounted for & so did a great deal running round trying not to waste too much...

4 comments:

  1. Whoops, not funny but I am smiling. I remember that happening when I made fruit wine about 25 years ago, think it might have been raspberry - seem to recall coming into the kitchen one morning to a familiar yeasty smell and a section of wall that needed repainting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stand demis on trays for just that reason. And I add the extra sugar g r a d u a l l y !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry- I didn't see you leave earlier and therfore didn't give you the cabbage! I haven't cut it and will be on site tomorrow morning if you would like to collect it
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd have smiled more if you'd seen me running down the stairs with the dj trying not to shake it around & trying to catch the drips, Bilbo!

    Living & learning here, Flum - surely you caught out with fizzy wine once upon a time though...?

    Hey, Julie - it wasn't till I got home that I realised that I'd forgotten it - bird brain here! Should see you in the morning & would love to have it then!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...