Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Rain, Rain, Go Away!

Honestly, today was a complete washout AGAIN with heavy showers all day – it did clear to a beautiful evening, but rather too late to go to the Hill to finish the damn bean frame.

On the positive side, the neglected housework has been attacked with gusto, & I played the hokey cokey with a load of washing on & off the line in between showers.

On another positive note, whilst I was contemplated the bean frame, I realised that I have a 20’ length on each side to play with, that’s room to plant out five lots of beans on each side, & not the four lots that I thought that I’d have space for. Hurrah!

As I haven’t been able to plant out any of the dwarf beans – or anything else, in fact – I am rather short of gravel trays to hold the seed pots, but I did find a couple & sowed some FRENCH BEANS (blauhilde & cherokee trails of tears).

Better weather next week, perhaps…

3 comments:

  1. Remember that veg growing is not my strong point - but won't the beans pollinate each other if you grow different varieties so close to each other, or doesn't that matter unless you're Flummery saving seed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Climbing french type beans CAN but rarely do cross pollinate. Hazel's seed should be ok.
    I'm getting a tad peed off with the rain too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I should be ok with my french beans, Bilbo - however, broad beans are promiscuous little devils & will cross like mad - that's why I have kept half a dozen crimson flowered plants in a pot here at home, so I can hopefully save pure seed.

    Runners will cross at will too - I only grow about a dozen, and use 'mongrel' seed saved from the previous year. They don't taste any the worse for it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...