Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Every Day's a School Day

Well, I've learned today why we don't use demerara and/or soft brown sugar when we are making rhubarb wine.

It is because it turns the wine a rather unpleasant brown colour.

This looks just as if I have scooped up a bucket of ditch water.

4 comments:

  1. But is it drinkable? I'm sure it tastes better than it looks! =) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will clear to a lovely sherry colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same question as Lynsey - will it taste OK?

    (Is it worrying or reassuring that Mrs Flummery knows exactly how it will end up {giggle})

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the rhubarb wine has been one of the best wines so far, Lynsey, so I hope that using brown sugar doesn't detrimentally affect the taste!

    Comparing the colour to that of sherry is a stroke of brilliance, Flum - (definitely reassuring, Bilbo!) I was thinking that brown wine would be offputting, but no, it doesn't have to be, does it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...