Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Gooseberry Wine Conundrum

The gooseberry & rhubarb wine is proving to be somewhat troublesome, & I really don't know why. It has cleared, but has a slight haze to it - and it tastes, well, not great. Not fruity even, but ... cardboardy?

The SG is down to 992, but it has sat in a demijohn & not got any clearer for the last two months. I think that if I bottle it as is, & give a bottle to cheery Brian & Pauline to thank them for letting me have the gooseberries, they will be sorely disappointed, except it could be used in cooking.

Mind you, the second test glass that I had this evening did taste rather better than the first...

2 comments:

  1. I often found rhubarb to have an odd taste in wines - cardboardy is a good description. I now stick to crumbles, pies and chutneys (it makes a wonderful chutney!) The gooseberries on their own make a brilliant wine. It's only the hairs on a gooseberry ...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, but I've always found the rhubarb wine to be jolly good, so I don't understand why the gooseberry/rhubarb combo isn't superb...?

    I do like the idea of rhubarb in chutneys, but I drink more wine than eat chutneys!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...