I put the elderberry & apple wine into one demijohn this afternoon & measured the SG whilst I was at it. It's down to 994, & still fermenting, so this is set to be another dry one unless I do something.
I added a couple of ounces of sugar (which has raised the SG to 998), & I might add a bit more in a few days as I think that I should probably be aiming for a finished SG of just under 1.000.
Twinsane has asked me about the baked beans that I made yesterday - it was nominally taken from 1000 classic recipes p172 (a cookery book that has had much use over the years despite no pictures and a rubbish index), but I did tweak it a little - and I made half of these quantities. Here it is in full:
Home-Made Baked Beans
450g haricot beans, soaked overnight & drained (I used bird's egg & barlotti)
(actually the recipe says 450 haricot beans, but I presume that I wasn't supposed to count them and the 'g' had been left off by mistake)
2 bay leaves
2tbsp black treacle or molasses (I used treacle)
1/2 pt water
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp milk
pinch basil, salt & pepper
225g tomatoes skinned & chopped.
I added in a 225g pack of smoked lardons, & a generous squeeze of tomato puree.
- Simmer beans, bay leaves & cloves for an hour & a half, drain & discard bay leaves & cloves
- Dilute treacle with water & mix in flour made into a paste with the milk
- Add basil & seasoning
- Put beans in greased casserole dish cover with tomatoes & the sauce & bake on gas 4 for an hour.
Lovely! It freezes well, too.
Finally, Veg Heaven commented the other day that the 'polish' french beans looked similar to the 'bird's egg' variety.
They are about the same size, with the same markings, but as the photo here (just about!) shows, they have different background colours - mauve for the polish on the left, creamy for the bird's egg on the right.