Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Monday, September 21, 2009

Well, It's a Start...

I sat down this evening with the part of the seedbox which is 'veg but not peas or beans' & sorted all the seed packets into 'keep - for next year, or maybe the year after' & 'I really can't see me getting this sown'.

The exercise means that I now have 38 seed packets for redistribution to others - coo - & it raised a number of interesting questions:

1 why do I have a packet of lovely purple brocolli, a packet of heritage green brocolli - both excellent & on the 'keep' pile - yet I also have two identical packets of Mr F bog standard brocolli?
2 why do I have three unopened packets of beetroot? Not being hugely keen, I grow half a packet a year for chutney, and not even that this year.
3 why do I have achocha seeds from Veg Heaven and the seed swap parcel, yet I have about 3 million seeds to save from my own plant this year - and it is a contender for world's most boring veg?
4 Why have I kept the packet of celery seeds when the only time I grew celery in was so stringy it was inedible, and the wine I made from it was vile too?
5 Why do I have so many seeds that I can quite comfortably give away 6 types of tomato & 3 types of pepper without blinking...?
...etc, etc...

I am happy, though, as I can now get all the seeds in the box - just the peas, beans & flower seeds to go now...

2 comments:

  1. 6 How deep is the ocean?
    7 How high is the sky?
    Etc. Seeds eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and many other imponderables!

    I haven't even started on the beans yet - am bound to spend too much time playing with them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...