Welcome to our plot!

I'm Hazel, and in Nov 2006 my friend Jane and I took on a half plot at Hill Allotments, Sutton Coldfield - we want the satisfaction of growing and eating our own fruit and veg, and to improve our diet (and fitness!).

This is the story of what happened next...........

Monday, September 07, 2009

Runner Bean Freezing

Because I think that runner beans freeze really well, & that I find that french beans don't, I've started to squirrel any runners I pick into the freezer - & I'm eating platefuls of delicious tender, sweet french beans (I'm knee deep in them) & enjoying every single one.

I have forgotten if I blanch the runner beans or not - the broadies definitely do get a minute or two in boiling water, then ice water, are dried in a tea towel & packed in bags, & the peas either do or don't depending on my mood - but I'm scratching my head with regard to the runners.

I've decided that I think that they should be blanched - although I'll be appalled if they turn soggy/slimy on cooking from frozen, so I must check by eating some before any more get the same treatment...

6 comments:

  1. I find Runner Beans are much better for being blanched, although I have friends who sware it makes no difference- I think it does

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't help here as it's years since I grew runners. I'm a total French bean freak!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgot to have some for tea tonight to check if the blanched runners are ok - d'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didn't blanch mine, froze them...cooked them the other day and they were perfect! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never blanch runners,(just 'cos I can't be bothered to be honest!) and find that they keep fine for up to 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok - tried some of the blanched frozen runners tonight, but don't have any unblanched frozen ones to compare to.

    On the plus side, they were not remotely slimy, on the other hand, some where distinctly stringy.

    Hmm.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...